2016 Composer’s Day: Writing for String Quartet
Call for composers
As part of a 4-day theme on contemporary string quartets during this year’s soundfestival, there will be a Composers’ day on Writing for String Quartet, that will feature masterclasses, talks, and one-to-one surgeries with the participation of Graham Fitkin and Dave Fennessy, which will take place on Saturday 29th October. The goals of the day are to give opportunities to young composers to improve their technical skills for contemporary writing for string quartet, and develop new compositional ideas.
The renowned Bozzini Quartet (Canada) will select pieces to workshop as part of this day. The masterclasses, which will be led by the quartet, will be open to members of the public.
• Your piece must be for string quartet.
• The piece can be specifically written for the occasion or can be an existing work (written within the last 3 years).
• There is no specified duration, although if the work is of a substantial length it may not all be played/discussed.
How to Apply
Please note that we are accepting applications by email only.
• The deadline for applying is the 1st August 2016. If you’re application is successful, any new works must be submitted by the 20th September.
• fill online form (personal info). Attached below.
• if you are submitting an existing work, please submit the score and, if available, an audio example of the work.
• If you will be writing a new work (to be submitted by the 20th September), please submit 2 audio examples of other works (.mp3 only - 20mb max) and related scores (.pdf only - 10mb max)
• if video examples are available, applicants can additionally submit web links (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) by copying the URL in the ‘Comments section’ available to each piece
Participation fee: £10 (to be paid when your application is successful and you've confirmed to take part)
Please note that you must be able to attend the masterclass in Aberdeen on the 29th October.
We will let you know of the outcome of your application by 5th August 2016.
To submit your application or if you have any questions please email email@example.com or phone 01330 826526.