2017 Composer’s Day: Writing for Opera and Bassoon
Saturday 11th November – 11am-4pm
The 2017 soundfestival annual Composer’s Day takes place on Saturday 11th November in Aberdeen. The two different composing themes for the day are opera and the endangered instrument the bassoon.
The day will consist of workshops, talks, and one-to-one surgeries led by leading composers Benedict Mason and Errollyn Wallen. The aim of the day is to give opportunities for composers to improve technical skills in contemporary composition for the bassoon and the genre of opera as well as developing general compositional ideas.
The renowned bassoonist Pascal Gallois will be joining us in the afternoon to lead a masterclass and he will select new pieces to workshop as part of the session. The masterclasses will be open to members of the public. We are inviting composers to submit repertoire for this element of the day.
- Your piece must be for solo bassoon
- Your piece should be no longer than five minutes long
- You can write something new, or send in an unperformed work from your existing repertoire
How to Apply
- The deadline for submitting a completed PDF score will Friday 22nd September 2017.
- Please email your score to firstname.lastname@example.org You must also complete an application form with your details (See below) and email it with your score.
- If video examples are available, applicants can additionally submit web links (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) by copying the URL in the application form.
Please note that you must be able to attend the masterclass in Aberdeen on the 11th November. Please note it costs £10 to attend the day.
We will let you know if your composition has been selected for masterclass by Friday 29th September 2017.
If you have any questions or need further information please contact email@example.com or phone 01330 826526.